It’s probably in your kitchen right now—maybe even in the last bite of food you ate today. Olive oil is a ubiquitous cooking essential—it’s delicious, healthy, and incredibly versatile. And if you haven’t moved it into your beauty routine yet, prepare for these beauty benefits of olive oil to rock your world.
That’s right, olive oil has numerous uses in skin and hair care—it’s even safe and beneficial to baby.
Check out some our favorite beauty uses for olive oil.
1. Makeup remover: If you’re spending lots of money on brand-name makeup removing products, stop right now! Olive oil (most any oil, really), will take off even the thickest mascaras and eye shadows. Soak a cotton ball or pad in olive oil and gently swipe to remove.
2. Shaving cream: Yes, there’s nothing quite like foamy shaving creams, but olive oil works just as well and for a fraction of the price. Gently massage legs, armpits, or face with a coating of olive oil and then shave per normal.
3. Deep hair conditioning: You may have heard that coconut oil does wonders for hair, but it’s not the only oil with hair benefits. Warm a bit of olive oil in microwave (or a double boiler) till it’s warm but not too hot to touch. Gently massage into hair and scalp. Leave on at least 20 minutes before shampooing out.
4. Leave-in hair treatment: Olive oil benefits your hair before you wash and it can work wonders after, too. To dry hair, apply a small dime-size amount of olive oil warmed between the hands (use more or less depending on hair length and thickness). It works wonders for taming fly-aways and frizzies, and gives hair a natural-looking shine and luster.
5. Baby bottoms: Babies are so delicate and fragile you barely feel safe holding them, let alone putting any chemicals on their skin. Olive oil is safe enough for a baby’s bottom and it works like a charm to treat diaper rash, dry skin, and as an over all baby skin moisturizer. Works on cradle cap, too.
6. Body/lip scrub: Exfoliating is your skin’s best friend—and don’t forget your precious pout, either! Mix up coarse sugar with olive oil for a gentle exfoliant that won’t cause irritation. Perfect for chapped or dry lips as well.
7. Moisturizer: For dry hands, cracked cuticles or heels, eczema, or other minor skin irritations, olive oil to the rescue! It’s a wonderful moisturizer that’s inexpensive, readily available, and easy to use. Simply massage olive oil into skin as needed.
Check out our favorite Zatik Natural Olive Oil Products