Is there any food more sacred, more beloved than chocolate? Of course not, right? In a word, chocolate is special. But not just because its creamy deliciousness tastes so good; chocolate has a host of health benefits. And this will make your day even better: chocolate has a ton of beauty benefits for your skin and hair, too. Really.
7 Benefits of Chocolate for Skin and Hair
- Antioxidants: Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants that help to prevent free radical damage to the skin. Like dark berries, leafy greens, and green tea, the antioxidants in chocolate may help your skin look younger by reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Protect skin from UV damage: Chocolate as sunscreen? Eating a chocolate bar before hitting the beach (or slathering it on your face) isn’t a guarantee against sunburn, but it may help to reduce the risk of burning (in combination with a strong sunscreen). That’s because chemical compounds in chocolate help protect the skin from the sun. But do be sure to slather on the sunscreen no matter what.
- Detoxes the skin: Using raw chocolate powder on the skin serves as an exfoliant that can help to get rid of dead skin cells, revealing fresher, younger-looking skin beneath. Those antioxidants also work topically, soaking into your skin to provide added benefits and skin protection.
- Chocolate boosts mood: You know what makes you look younger and happier all at once? A smile. Chocolate is known for its mood-boosting brain benefits and chemicals that trigger the release of serotonin and dopamine. These brain chemicals are connected with happiness and love.
- Balances blood sugar: If you’re chomping down sugar-laden chocolate bars, all bets are off, but in moderation, raw, unsweetened chocolate may help to regulate insulin levels, keeping your sugar levels in check. This may make breakouts less common, which will make your skin look healthier and happier.
- Healthy scalp: Chocolate’s anti-inflammatory compounds can help to lessen itchy, dry, and flaky scalp problems both when consumed internally or used topically on the scalp/hair.
- Hair boost: Chocolate may also help to minimize hair loss and boost the volume and shine of hair.
Is chocolate in your beach bag this summer? Get all the benefits and more with our Passionfruit and Cacao Moisture Recovery Lotion.