Winter skin can seem like it needs hours of love every day just to look normal—forget about all the other conditions that can be making you panic (wrinkles, pimples, dryness, age spots, etc). But sometimes, less is indeed more, even when it comes to your winter skincare routine.
If you’re starting to feel your skin sapped of moisture, fear not. You don’t need to get up an extra hour early just for misting and moisturizing. You just need to change up your skincare products, and maybe add a step or two to your skincare routine, at least until the weather warms up.
- Wash your face: You’re already doing this (hopefully), right? Well in the winter months, try switching to a more moisture-rich skin cleanser. This means something that’s creamier so not to dry the skin out even more.
- Exfoliate: If you think you only need to do this in the summer, here’s a step you may be missing. Exfoliation helps to remove dead skin cells, which can build up with dryness common in the winter months. A few times a week add a fruit-acid exfoliant to your routine or use a gentle scrubbing product.
- Tone: If you skip this step regularly, you’ll want to be sure to add it in now. Toners help to prep the skin for deep moisturizing—and this is something your dry and thirsty skin wants right now. Use a light toner with hydrating ingredients like coconut or jojoba oil.
- Serum: Think of serums as the love-child of toners and moisturizers. Not quite one or the other, but that happy medium in between, serums are the life-blood of healthy skin. They deliver nutrient-rich hero ingredients to the skin that help you to have healthy and happy skin. At the very least? They provide more moisture.
- Moisturize: Now it’s time to dig into that creamy vat of goodness and slather on the rich and emollient moisturizers. Crèmes are best this time of year, you want something thick and rich that feels so nice on your skin. Layer it thick (but not too thick!) and let it sink in to your face and neck. Follow with a hydrating eye crème and a good night’s rest for gorgeous skin!